Thursday, August 16, 2007

A Sweet Gift

My mom gave me a very sweet gift yesterday. It is a devotional (Battlefields and Blessings) full of stories of faith and courage from the Civil War (yep, I was a history major). She thought it might help me through this time of waiting and wondering. So I open it to today, August 16. The title is "The Test of a Christian" and is a letter written by a Major Isaac White to his wife on the death of her father. The gist of the letter and the devotional thought was that adversity is the test of character. As Terry Tuley (the author of this devotional book) states, " We can profess to be strong in the Christian faith until adversity strikes. It is then that our faith is put to the test. How we react to the adversity and endure through it will bring out our true character." Ouch. I have to ask myself if I am reacting to adversity in a way that is bringing honor to God. What is this wait showing about my true character? I know for sure that it is showing me that I really do rely too much on my own strength and wisdom (always been one of my weaknesses - I'm a bit pig headed :) ). The verse included with today is one that is an encouragement to me and hopefully will be to anyone else who is enduring a "test of character".

"Let us run with endurance the race that is set before us" Hebrews 12:1B

Retying those running shoes....

No comments: