Sunday, August 5, 2007

Labor Pains

As some of you know, my biological kids came very quickly (my longest labor was 4.5 hours). While that sounds wonderful (and really, I wasn't longing for an endless labor), all the pains and transitions of labor get compressed into a couple of short hours. There is no gradual movement from one stage of labor to another. It just all seems to happen all at once! The intensity of the process is incredible!
I've come to figure out that adopting special needs (sn) is a lot like a quick labor. Compared to the labor of those who are waiting for nsn (non special needs) it is super quick. We won't be waiting 3 years to bring Caleb home (at least I hope not!). Yet all the emotions and experiences that come with an adoption get compressed into a short amount of time (relatively speaking). You still experience them all - just at break neck pace and often with little time to recover before the next labor pain hits you.
So, while I wait for my newest little guy, I pray for a quick labor :) and ask this one question - WHERE IS MY EPIDURAL!?!

No comments: