Saturday, September 15, 2007

Ice Skating: A Tale of Two Sisters

If you have more than 1 child, you know that they all come into this world wired in their own unique way. With 4 kids under our roof, I can tell you that not a one of them is like the other. This was so obvious to me today at the ice skating rink. My boys were content to do the rock climbing wall/arcade with a friend so it was just us girls out on the ice. First let me say, Anna loves ice skating. She has been begging me for weeks to take her again and after reneging on a promise to ride the ferris wheel at the fair yesterday (the line was over 20 minutes long!!! with a 3 year old having melt down!!! - not a pretty picture) I told her we would go skating. She was tentative as she started out but remembered that she can skate without any assistance and was happy to be on her way. As she has learned to skate over the past year or so, she would work to put her feet in just the precise spot and was always aware of how well she was doing. She has a natural grace which found its way to the ice. I guess dancers will dance, no matter what the surface :)
Which leads us to Sarah. I guess the best way to describe her skating method is attack. This is only the 2nd time she has ever put on a pair of skates. She has no fear. Of anything or anyone (except bugs - go figure). Within minutes, she was holding my hand but not holding the wall. After about 15 minutes or so, the three of us were skating around the rink, holding hands and going at a pretty good speed. Sarah usually only fell when she got busy watching the big kids in the middle of the rink and wondering when she would get to join them. Did I mention she has no fear? I believe that in time, both of my girls will be good skaters - they both are coordinated and enjoy it. What will be different will be their style - one with the grace of a dancer, one with athletic prowess. Both are the most amazing daughters a mom could ask for :) I thank God that he makes us all unique and able to skate through life in our own special way!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a fun time..how nice to read about your kids!