Monday, October 29, 2007

Gotcha

"I will praise you, O LORD, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders."Psalm 9:1 I have had many memorable days in my life and I have experienced God's amazing work over the years. I must say that today I have seen the hand of God. Caleb has handled today much better than we ever could have hoped and we can see glimpses of the little boy who is in this tiny little body. First, a word about our local guide. This is her first adoption. She also has her boss with her and hates to fly. The poor thing was in tears last night and Faith talked her through the whole 1 hour flight. She is trying hard to help us but it is a good thing we have done this before. But now, on to Caleb :) We pulled into the Civil Affairs office right behind the cab with the Assistant orphanage director and one of the nannies, a young girl who had grown up in the SWI. We were so excited to see him - there was no mistaking who he was :) We spoke to them and followed them up 5 flights up steps! since the electricity wasn't getting turned on till the afternoon. Once we got there we gradually made the switch from the nanny to me. He wimpered but never really cried that hard. I wanted to get a photo of Caleb, us and the ladies from Datong but he was not doing well with me walking to the same side of the room as they were so we video taped our interaction instead (sorry - not digital so we can't post it). We left the civil affairs office to take the picture we needed for the adoption decree. Luckily we dropped everyone else off - we walked all over Taiyuan trying to find a place that would take the photo we needed. Once we got back, it was time for McDonalds (Caleb isn't interested) and baby bananas for Caleb. We've gotten him to laugh and the kids have had fun playing with him. We've left him in the crib - I think that is where he spent most of his time and he seems most comfortable there. We're so amazed at the prayers - the Assitant Director kept telling our guide that Caleb is so weak and that he cries a lot. Yet he has not freaked out too badly yet - I'm sure it will happen eventually but he has been pretty peaceful today. We are so proud of our little guy - he has killer eye lashes! I'm in awe of God's handiwork and am anxious to see how Caleb's personality will emerge.
We are trying to upload more photos but the connection here is terribly slow - it has taken me 3 tries just to get these few things uploaded. I will try again tonight to get the rest of our Beijing photos and gotcha day photos uploaded.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow Melissa! HAPPY GOTCHA DAY! What a picture of you holding Caleb! We knew this day would come, yet not quick enough for you, but WOW! He is tiny! That's ok, commence "fattening up" program! (We are still working on that one for Matthew.)

I'm so glad your gotcha day has been much more than you dreamed. I'm sure Caleb is just so glad to be held and LOVED by you guys!!!! *makes you teary eyed*

Kristen

Wright,Rhonda and Amber said...

Happy Gotcha Day from us too!

"Bug" said...

AWESOME PICTURE!!! Happy Gotcha Day!!! Love that smile on Caleb's face :-)

Roger, Debbie & Kaeli

Anonymous said...

I am so glad things went better than expected. He sure looks happy in the crib pictures.
I was at my parents church in a very small town in Northwest Missouri. They were celebrating there 75th church anniversary. They were talking about who had came the farthest for the celebration. Well one of the families(out of about only 50 people) had adopted their daughter from China. I told them that I had friends who were getting there new son anytime and he looked at me with the biggest smile(proud dad) and said Gotha Day.
Marcia

Unknown said...

Im so glad to read this..congrats

Anonymous said...

Now there's the smile I've longed to see! I knew it was in there somewhere! I showed Ben Caleb's picture and he tried to grab the screen!

-Jen Ingersoll

Carla said...

YAY!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy for you, and love the smile on Caleb's face. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulation, wonderful to see him smiling and happy.

Susan F.

Kelley said...

I for one am not surprised that he did great! I've been praying for that - and we are to believe for what we pray for!! He's going to fit right in with all of you (with or without some bumpy patches!! :) )

miss you all,
K

Barb P. said...

So wonderful to see you with Caleb!! Congrats and all the best. Hope to see you soon.!

Anonymous said...

Thank God! Finally, you have him in your arms. How great is that? I am so happy for all of you. Hope you have a great time on your trip with the wonderful new addition to your family. I can't wait to see Caleb!

Christina

Anonymous said...

Congrats Weikel Family!! What a smile. Thanks for sharing your moments with us all. Gives all of us waiting hope, not to mention teary eyes. We'll keep you and the others traveling at this time in our prayers.

<>< Jenn

Anonymous said...

HE'S SO HANDSOME! I have tears streaming down my face reading your post ... happy tears! Can't wait to see more pictures!

Much love from MI,
Kirk, Brenda, Lilly and Jessica

Anonymous said...

What a great day!!
We are so happy for you.
Scott, Brenda, Lucas and LIa