Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Laundry 101 - Lipstick

Here's the scene: I'm behind in laundry (when you do 1-2 loads a day, that isn't hard to do) because of all this last minute adoption stuff. I go to pull out the load from the dryer and gaze at the white sweater that I has taken 2 days and lots of bleach to get "chocolate milk free". Instead of the gleaming white sweater that went into the dryer, I see one with rose colored smudges all over. Of course my stomach drops and I start the chant, "please don't let anything else be covered, please don't let anything else be covered..." My chanting does not work as I pull out piece after piece of laundry covered in pretty rose colored spots. Then I see it. The bottom half of a tube of lipstick, empty, its contents now melted all over our favorite clothes. I take a deep breath,trying not to think of how much it will cost to replace the things ruined in the load (you know, Mom and Dad's favorite jeans, hoodies for the boys, jeans for the girls...). In desperation I put the washer on the hottest setting possible, dump in half a bucket of OxyClean and pray over the load as I dump it back in. I consider bringing the entire family in to lay hands on the washer but resist. 45 minutes later I cautiously open the lide of the washer to find that IT WORKED and nothing shrunk! Of course during those 45 minutes I had to calmly (a supernatural calm only present because of lots of prayer) let my 3 year old know that you cannot "borrow" Mommy's makeup and hide it in your jean pocket. Another laundry crisis averted and another gray hair added to my head...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA!!!!
Atleast it's gray and not falling out!!!

Debbie

Bill and Toni said...

Too funny!! I just knew - before I got to the bottom - that it was the same lipstick we'd discussed earlier...

Laying hands on a washer??... now that could be interesting. Our ladies Bible study group has prayed for Gail's appliances before (that they could be fixed without costing more than a new one), but we never thought about laying hands on them. ;o)

Very glad it "all came out in the wash"
Toni