Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Perspective

I find that I've learned more about my Heavenly Father and my own childish tendencies from being a parent than any other experience. He nailed me again the other night with another "kid truth". I was attempting to put the girls to bed (yes, that is the proper verb to be used...) and the girls were begging me to let them go to sleep together in Anna's bed. Now before I sound like a complete ogre, let me tell you a little bit about Ms. Sarah and bedtime - it isn't always pretty. Once asleep, it is like waking the dead. But to get her to that point is often a painful experience. So, knowing that she would most certainly keep her sister awake, I answered no. Anna, her ever diplomatic self, said, "I'll give you a dollar!". I smiled and bit my tongue from responding,"Honey, I don't need your dollar". Instead I reminded her that mommy could not be bribed (at least not that night and never for anything less than some high quality chocolate) and that Sarah was definitely going to her own bed. But nano seconds later, God hit me with the reality - I can often be like my Anna. If God will just give me what I think I need or want, I promise to give Him XYZ. And I'm sure He just bites His tongue thinking, "Child, I own the cattle on a thousand hills. I created the universe. I know every hair on your head (even the gray ones). I cannot be bribed. I love you too much.

No comments: