Monday, May 11, 2009

News from Kenya

Ken called this afternoon and although our conversations are short, I can tell he is having an amazing trip. He said that he is humbled by the stories that the Christian young men who are at this conference have shared about their faith. One young man was raised in a home of devil worship and black magic. When he became a believer, his family tried to have him killed. Another young man runs an orphanage of young boys. Many of them are alcohol and drug addicts as young as 6 or 8. As I understand it, most of the attendees of this leadership conference are in their early 20's and already have such amazing testimonies of what God has done in their lives.
The monastary where he is staying is self sufficient. They raise cattle and there is VERY fresh milk at every meal and Ken came upon a dead cow hanging yesterday. They had beef for dinner :) He says the food is simple but he hasn't starved yet so that is good.
We are surviving on the homefront, thanks in no small part to my dad who has/will take the boys to school everyday. I am VERY thankful for that favor!!!
I will post more when I hear from Ken. The calls are expensive and there is no internet that I'm aware of so we get a few precious moments each day. It makes me so appreciate the ability to pick up the phone and call him!

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Hi Melissa,
Wendy is visiting us this week and is helping me to use Google Reader for all my listed blogs. We just read this post. What an exciting exerience for him! Didn't know he was going there! Give him our best wishes for a safe and inspiring trip.

The kids all look great. We're looking forward to your Mom and Dad's visit with us later this month.

Take care,
Barbara