Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year - Thankfully!

Since we had a houseful Sunday night to watch the Skins stomp all over the Cowboys (GO SKINS!!!), we were just doing the family thing last night. But, we started 2008 with typical Weikel fashion - a crisis. Last year on New Year's, our dog, Hershey, had run through his electric invisible fence when he was spooked by neighbors who put on their own fireworks display that lasted well past midnight. This year, remembering that very wet tromp through the neighborhood last year, I let him out at 11:45 so I could get him in before all the hoopla started (and don't get me started on how inconsiderate a 45 minute firework show in a neighborhood is at midnight...). What I didn't realize is that our neighbors were overacheivers this year and started the fireworks early. So Ken and I spent 3 hours in the cold looking for Hershey. Ken had already gone to bed earlier since he has to work today but he was up and dressed along with me. Of course all my kids (minus Caleb) were still up since we had let them stay up for the countdown. So I was kicking myself for not hearing those stupid fireworks before I let him out, dealing with kids who were very tired and on the verge of hysteria all while tromping through the woods and driving the surrounding streets and farm. Ken and I had given up for the night at 3am and then he decide to drive around one last time. At 3:30 he opened the garage door with Hershey! He found him on the next street down from our neighborhood. Of course he was probably oblivious to all the chaos and enjoyed the extra attention and treats. Anna and Jacob got a good lesson on answered prayer (and so did Mom). Needless to say, when Caleb started calling for me at 7am, I did moan a bit. We'll have to see how the day goes. I think we'll have an early to bed night tonight!
On another note, Caleb's eating is back!! On a lark, I figured out his calorie consumption this morning (a bowl of oatmeal with powdered milk and calorie additive and 2 eggs scrambled with whole milk and calorie additive washed down with a bottle of whole milk with Carnation Instant Breakfast). I figure he put away about 700 calories in one sitting! YIKES!!! For someone who is only in the 18 pound range, I would say that is huge! He is growing - some of his overalls are getting a big short and I've had to move up to size 3 diapers (although a 2 still fits in a pinch). It will be so nice when he can eat whatever he wants in a few weeks. I am a bit concerned about his fistula - it seems to have grown a bit since everything has healed so we'll have to wait and see what they want to do with that. I'm mentally preparing for the possibility of another surgery this coming year but we'll have to wait and see what the dr says at the follow up.
Praying a peaceful day and a new year full of God's grace and blessings!!!

No comments: