Thursday, June 7, 2007

Lucky Number 7?

This week we're finding that 7 is our not so lucky number. We have lived in our house for 7 years this past March. Of course we bought all new appliances when we built the house. We have learned this week that Kenmore appliances have a 7 year lifespan. First it was our water treatment system. The leak was fixed in the spring after numerous calls and frustrations with Sears repair. Next was my washer. Now in all fairness, I probably am a lot harder on a washer than the average person since there are currently 6 of us. That is a lot of laundry. Unfortunately, the spin cycles on our washer were beginning to sound like the launch of the space shuttle. After 2 minutes, the repairman told me that he would not recommend dumping the $350 needed to repair my 7 year old machine. So, off we went to buy a new washer, which I must sheepishly admit, was a bit exciting. They are much larger and quieter than was available 7 years ago. But, a large capacity washer needs and large capacity dryer. So.... the matching set was delivered on Tuesday. It is awesome to be able to wash so much laundry so quietly!! I'm like a little kid with a new toy (I think I need a vacation....) Now the ice machine has stopped making ice. The repairman said he couldn't fix it, I needed to call Sears (groan - do I really have to again? Can't I call anyone but the Keystone Cops?). So, we'll see if this gets a repair or if we'll just be buying ice until the refrigerator itself dies. Which, by our calculations, will probably be right around when we travel to go get Caleb. Sigh....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What have our lives become when we get so excited about a new washer and dryer?!! I know exactly what you mean! I knew my life had gotten weird when someone asked me what my ultimate fantasy is and I said, "That everyone in my house would strip naked so that for once EVERY piece of laundry could be clean at the same time!" Smile (and sigh!).